The Queensland Premier’s Flood Relief Appeal raised about $30 million on Sunday night, after Victoria and NSW state governments each waded in with $1 million donations.
Moments after the NSW Government announced a $1 million donation on Sunday, Victoria’s Premier Ted Baillieu matched the offer saying his state was also proud to play its part in the recovery.
National sports organisations also rallied around the flood relief effort, with the AFL announcing a $500,000 donation and the Socceroos putting a signed shirt on ebay on the eve of their opening match of the Asian Cup in Qatar.
At 9.53pm (AEST) the Queensland government website showed the appeal fund at $29,946,155 and shortly after that Channel Nine’s live telethon appeal closed with pledges standing at $10,278,552, most of which is counted in the government website figure.
Mr Baillieu said he had been in regular contact with Queensland Premier Anna Bligh as he offered whatever assistance Victoria was able to provide.
A cheque for $800,000 will be sent to stricken Queensland after an initial contribution of $200,000 was announced last week, he said.
“Queenslanders have made a huge contribution to help Victorians who have been the victims of natural disasters in years gone by, and lending a helping hand in their time of need is the right thing to do,” he said.
The announcement came as NSW Acting Premier Carmel Tebbutt encouraged others, including corporations, to donate.
“This is a huge effort we all need to help our neighbours in Queensland,” she told the Nine Network.
“We know our neighbours to the north are enduring some terribly tough times, some of the worst floods in Queensland’s history.
“The NSW government wants to help with our $1 million and we call on other states to match us.”
Donations to the disaster relief appeal can be made online at www.qld.gov.au/floods.
Donations can also be made in person at any branch of the Commonwealth Bank, NAB, Westpac, ANZ, BOQ, Suncorp, St George Bank or BankSA, or at Coles supermarkets.